If you follow this blog, you’ve noticed the lapse in posts: our beautiful, brave, amazing greyhound “Emma” left us. There’s a huge empty spot in our hearts and home. I haven’t felt like doing much cooking. This recipe for chicken egg drop soup is easy, fast, and comforting (as well as SIBO friendly) as we navigate our broken hearts. Take a moment to hug your furry beloveds in honor of our girl.
- 8 cups of home-made chicken broth, -OR- two 32 ounce cartons of broth containing no garlic or onions
- 2 small fresh chicken breasts, sliced thin, -OR- 2 cups of shredded leftover chicken
- 4 baby bok choy, washed, bottom end removed, and chopped
- 1/2″ piece of fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 tsp Coconut Aminos
- 2 eggs, whipped briefly to combine whites and yolks
- Optional garnish: green tips of 2 scallions, sliced
Put chicken broth and fresh ginger in a medium sized soup pot over high heat.
Step 1 – if using fresh chicken slices: when the broth begins to boil, add the fresh chicken slices, and stir until just cooked through… roughly 2-3 minutes (length of time depends on how thinly you sliced your chicken).
Step 1 – if using leftover / cooked chicken: add the chicken and stir. Proceed immediately to step 2.
Step 2 – add bok choy and cook, stirring occasionally, for another 2-3 minutes, until the white stems turn a little bit translucent around the edges and the leaves are bright green.
Step 3 – whisk in the eggs, stirring until they are cooked through.
Step 4 – stir in coconut aminos and scallions, and ladle into bowls for serving.
Our beloved Emma: